At the moment.... mostly about moths

Saturday, 12 June 2010

Hovers and other garden finds today

Spent some time in the garden with the camera today.. in between the football of course.

Found 1 maybe 2 new species of Hoverfly, if I can confirm ID of the second.

This one I'm sure of:

Xanthogramma pedissequum

Xanthogramma pedissequum

But this one, may not be correct, happy to be advised

Pipizella viduata

Pipizella viduata?

This 2 caught my eye too:

Eupeodes luniger - I like the composition of this pic

Eupeodes luniger

Eristalis pertinax

Eristalis pertinax

Other hovers around were: Myrathropa floriae, Episyrphus balteatus,lots and lots of Syritta pipiens, Syrphus ribesii and most excitingly a large Volucella pellucens.

There were also plenty of bees in evidence, including my personal favourite

Bombus pratorum - I like the diagonals of the leaf on this one:

Bombus pratorum

There were several of this wasp, but they were almost impossible to image as they moved around incesantly, this was the best I could do:

Amblyteles armatorius

Amblyteles armatorius

All in all a most enjoyable session in the warm sun.





No comments: