At the moment.... mostly about moths

Saturday, 20 March 2010

Insect hibernation

With the warmer weather now with us, it's clear that many insects have survived our unusually cold winter (we've had years without any frost at all). Found today were 3 species of ladybird including 2-spot, 22-spot (my personal favourite) and the 7- spot:

7-spot ladybird (Coccinella  7-punctata)

I also found a couple of these Green Shield Bugs...

Green Shield Bug (Palomina prasina)

They are usually bright green but turn this brown colour in autumn prior to hibernating. I presume this is an adaptation so that when they're hiding away in the brown leaf litter, or whatever, over winter they're much more difficult to find. Clever biology is.

What I don't know is whether these ones subsequently turn green again - or do the lay some eggs and then die off fairly quickly?

I also saw my first bumblebee of the year but didn't see what species.



No comments: