At the moment.... mostly about moths

Saturday, 4 July 2009

Moth Trap 49

A really nice moth was around the trap last night in the form of a Swallow-tailed Moth, a real beauty and a new one for me. A pity I didn't get a photo as it was nowhere to be seen this morning. Otherwise somewhat of the usual mix, with a couple of new species although I can't be sure of IDs at the moment.

Heart and dart 5
Burnished Brass 1
Riband Wave 4
Common Footman 5
Dark Arches 4
Light Arches 1
Heart and Club 1
Bright-line Brown-eye 2
Light Brown Apple Moth 1
Dot Moth 1
Large Yellow Udnerwing 1
Uncertain 1
Double Square Spot 2
Common Wainscot 1
Currant Pug 1 - (new !) but TBC
TBD 1 - (new !)
Swallow-tailed Moth 1 (new !)


Currant Pug - possible, quite worn so advice welcome

Currant Pug (Eupithecia assimilata)

Can't ID this one at all :-(

Can't ID this one

Also found this on the trap, a 10 spot Ladybird, a new species for the garden and me

10-spot Ladybird (Adalia decempunctata)







Moth Counts

Total Species 84 (81 in garden)

Total moths 828










3 comments:

BirdGuides said...

I think your unIDd might be a Bee Moth.

haplesshousewife said...

Hi Jerry,

I had my first Swallow-tail in two years, two nights ago, and also what I think is Currant Pug on garden fence yesterday afternoon. That does look like a Bee Moth but how big was it? A couple of nights ago I had a considerably smaller moth that looks like it in shape and colouration which I can't ID.

JerryL said...

Yes, Bee Moth I think. The pic in the micro book I have doesn't look like it at all!

Many thanks

Jerry