At the moment.... mostly about moths

Monday, 22 June 2009

Six-spot Burnet (part 2)

There are still lots of Six-spot Burnets on the roadside verge where I go for my lunch time walk. they've spread out now, along a stretch of several hundred meters, although most remain where I first saw them. It'll be interesting to see if the numbers increase next year, they seem to be doing well at the moment.

This is an image I caught on the old iPhone, not bad quality? Note the imaginatively named Swollen-thighed Beetle

Six-spot Burnet

There are also plenty of Cinnabar caterpillars feeding on the ragwort.

The final sighting of interest, although I didn't get a picture so can't be sure, but I'm fairly certain I saw a new hoverfly for me in the form of Helophilus trivittatus. This species looks superficially similar to the commoner H.pendulus with the thoracic stripes, but is larger, paler with a noticeably longer abdomen. Pretty sure it was one of these, but I'll try and get a picture all the same.

No comments: