At the moment.... mostly about moths

Monday, 13 April 2009

Yorkshire Dales

We're on holiday, staying in a cottage in one of the Yorkshire Dales, Swaledale to be precise. It's a wonderful area, scenes like this abound:

Swaledale scene


I've lots of other pics so rather than repeat the photos here this time I'll just provide the link to the flickr set - I'll add a few more over the next few days.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32653656@N03/sets/72157616629953449/

The trip is a combination of family days out, a bit of birding and further efforts on my part to get fit including some gentle jogging and a bit of cycling - although in both cases the brutal hills around here makes it for quite a workout for someone as unfit as me.

My best effort so far was a quick cycle I took late this afternoon,from Swaledale, south on a very minor road towards Askrigg. It's about 250m of climbing in a few km, so fairly strenuous - but good coming back down! The road is very remote, I didn't see a single car, but did have to open and close about 6 gates. Some decent bird sightings including: Lapwing, Curlew, Golden Plover, Red grouse and a pair of pristine Northern Wheatears. A fantastic brief cycle.

No comments: