At the moment.... mostly about moths

Saturday, 25 April 2009

New Moth Trap

I've been wanting to try out moth trapping for some time now and recently I treated myself to a new moth trap courtesy of Anglian Lepidopeterist Supplies (http://www.angleps.com/ - They were very helpful and gave a great service). The model I got myself was the Heath type, with a 15W lamp running off the mains. This is what the set up looks like:

New Moth Trap

It's fairly basic, but didn't cost too much, so is probably a good compromise. I had wanted a battery powered setup to give portability, but they are quite a bit more expensive and tricky to maintain. The bulb is of the fluorescent type, but emitting towards the UV end of the spectrum - it glows with a pinkish blue colour. This is more attractive to the moths, apparently. The idea is the light attracts them and they enter the trap through the hole in the middle to be viewed the following morning. I put a few egg boxes in there to give them some security.


So, last night was my first proper run at this and I actually caught some moths, 4 in total,


3 Common Quaker (Orthosia cerasi)

Common Quaker (Orthosia cerasi)

This is a common and widespread species in the UK, flying during March and April.
See UK moth site for more info

1 Hebrew Character (Orthosia gothica)

Hebrew Character (Orthosia gothica)

Again common and widespread in the early part of the year, readily attracted to lights. UK moths


Obviously not a huge catch in terms of numbers or variety but my moth list has formally begun!

No comments: