At the moment.... mostly about moths

Tuesday, 28 April 2009

Cantharis decipiens

There were a few of these beetles around the garden at the weekend:

Cantharis decipiens

It took me a while to identify it as it wasn't present in any of my general ID guides, which generally cover beetles very poorly and so far I haven't managed to find a decent guide specific to beetles. In the end this website came to rescue http://www.coleopterist.org.uk which has a nice gallery of beetle pics and I found this one just by systematically going through ones with a similar body shape until I found it! Not very scientific I know. Checking the NBN site it's quite widely distributed across England and Wales but it hasn't been reported from this part of kent before. Apart from that I can't find out much about it!

No comments: